Whether your Lada Kalina is showing signs of a wheel bearing problem or you suspect that preventative replacement may be needed, it is important to know how to diagnose and replace the front wheel bearings on this vehicle. The front wheel bearings support the front wheels and allow them to rotate smoothly while absorbing impact from the road. Wheel bearings that have failed or are on their way to failure can lead to steering issues, vibrations, and noises that affect the overall functionality and safety of your Kalina.
Diagnosing Bad Front Wheel Bearings On A Lada Kalina
There are several warning signs that the front wheel bearings in your Kalina are failing and need to be replaced:
- Vibrations – You may notice vibrations coming from the front of the vehicle, especially while braking or at highway speeds. The vibrations will often get worse over time as the bearings degrade further.
•Noises – Clicking, grinding, and humming noises coming from the front wheels are often an indication of damaged bearings. The sounds may happen constantly or intermittently at first.
- Pulling to one side – When one bearing fails before the other, it can cause the vehicle to pull to the corresponding side while driving. This is a sign that immediate replacement is needed.
- Looseness – If you notice play or looseness when spinning or grabbing a front wheel, the bearings have certainly failed and need replacement as soon as possible.
- Reduced mileage – Worn wheel bearings create excess friction that can slightly reduce your Kalina’s gas mileage.
Replacing Front Wheel Bearings On The Lada Kalina
Replacing the front wheel bearings on the lada kalina(1118) front wheel bearing is a job best left to experienced mechanics due to the disassembly required. However, with the right tools and step-by-step instructions, it can be accomplished by advanced DIY enthusiasts. Here are the basic steps:
- Loosen and remove the wheel. Jack up the front end and remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the brake caliper. The caliper will need to be removed to access the hub and bearing assembly. Compress the brake caliper piston before removal to avoid damage.
- Remove the hub and bearing assembly. Disconnect steering components, ball joints, and axle nuts to remove the entire hub and bearing assembly from the vehicle.
- Inspect and clean all components. Thoroughly clean all parts and check for additional damage on the hub, wheel bearings, and other components. Replace any damaged parts.
- Pack new grease into the wheel bearings. Most new wheel bearings come pre-greased, but replenishing fresh grease ensures long life and smooth operation.
- Reinstall the new or rebuilt hub and bearing assembly. Reinstall in the reverse order. Align all steering parts, secure the axle nuts, and reattach the brake caliper.
- Reattach the wheel and tire. Tighten the lug nuts in a crosswise pattern to the proper wheel torque specifications.
By following these steps, you can replace the front wheel bearings on your Lada Kalina 1118 and restore smooth, vibration-free performance. But keep in mind that precise torques, specialty tools, and a factory service manual may be required to properly complete the job. As always, consider taking your vehicle to a professional mechanic for wheel bearing replacement if you are unsure of your abilities.