The tensioner pulley bearing plays an important role in the timing belt or chain system of VAZ cars like Lada and Zhiguli models. Proper functioning and lubrication of this bearing helps ensure a long service life for the timing drive components.
How A Tensioner Pulley Works
A tensioner pulley consists of:
- A pulley – Similar in shape to a toothed timing belt pulley
- A bearing – Allows the pulley to pivot freely on its mounting point
- A spring-loaded piston – Pushes the pulley to tension the timing belt or chain
The tensioner pulley works by:
- Pivoting on its bearing to take up slack in the timing belt as it stretches with use.
- Maintaining constant tension on the belt to avoid it from slipping off the pulleys.
- Absorbing shock loads from the engine to reduce wear on other components.
The Importance Of The Tensioner Pulley Bearing
The bearing within the tensioner pulley assembly allows it to:
- Pivot smoothly – The bearing rotates to adjust the tensioner position as needed.
- Withstand engine vibrations – The bearing must be able to handle vibrations from the engine.
- Absorb friction – The bearing reduces friction between the pulley and its mounting point.
A faulty tensioner pulley bearing can cause:
- Increased noise from the timing system
- Inability to properly tension the timing belt
- Damage to timing components from insufficient or excessive belt tension
- Potential belt breakage resulting in engine damage
For VAZ cars, look for tensioner pulley bearings that are:
- Compatible with synthetic timing belt lubricants
- Formulated for use with high RPM engines
- Rated for the load and speed specifications of the timing system
- Coated for corrosion resistance against Russian winter road chemicals